ISO 45001 is a new international standard on occupational health and safety. This standard is a world first.
What is ISO 45001 Certification?
ISO 45001:2018 has recently been published by ISO. This standard is the international standard which will replace OHSAS 18001.
ISO 45001:2018 provides requirements for an effective occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system. This system will help to reduce workplace injuries and accidents, as well as continually improve the OH&S performance of the business.
If your business is OHSAS 18001 certified, you will need to update to this new standard. Contact QMS today for more information.
What are the benefits of becoming ISO 45001 certified?
This international standard suits businesses of all types and sizes, and can easily integrate with an existing management system. The system has a holistic approach to health and safety, meaning employees wellness and wellbeing are a critical element of the system.
An ISO 45001 certified business has multiple benefits over businesses which aren’t certified. An ISO 45001 certified business:
- Has a holistic approach to preventing workplace accidents and improving the health and safety regulations of the employees.
- Proactively identifies and addresses potential hazards in the workplace – making it safer for employees and all staff.
- Minimises the risk of accidents and incidents due to the continual analysis and improvement of the OH&S system.
- Reduces costs of accidents and incidents in the workplace.
- Reduces the cost of insurance premiums.
- Reduces employee turnover and absence.
What is the difference between OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001 & AS/NZS 4801?
ISO 45001:218 is an international standard. OHSAS 18001 certified businesses will need to migrate to the new standard as these standards will be withdrawn in three years.
Both standards focus on different areas under the workplace health and safety umbrella.
OHSAS 18001 was a procedure based standard, whilst ISO 45001 is process-based and considers risks and opportunities (like the other major ISO standards). ISO 45001 is a far more holistic approach to safety in the workplace, taking into consideration internal and external risks and opportunities, whereas OHSAS 18001 primarily focused on internal risks.
AS/NZS 4801 certified businesses will not have to migrate to the new standard.
What is the process of becoming ISO 45001 certified?
If you are already OHSAS 18001 certified, you will already have a solid benchmark and foundation to become ISO 45001 certified.
As with most standards, when looking to become certified you will need to perform the following activities:
- Have a gap analysis performed on your existing system and identify any areas of weakness and opportunity to improve.
- Make the necessary changes and improvements so your business is compliant with the new standards.
- Ensure everyone understands the new system and their role within it.
- Have a QMS auditor come to the business to audit and certify the business.
- If there are any improvements which need to be made – these should be taken care of as soon as possible.
- Once your business has been certified, you will need to conduct regular internal audits to ensure your business is continually improving the existing system.
Contact QMS today for more information on becoming ISO 45001 certified.
Image Source: Pixabay